2023 Mangnall Convention Scholarship
Announcing the 2023 Gwendolyn M. Mangnall Convention Scholarship
Have you heard about the fun fellowship and empowerment a state convention of the National Federation of the Blind can bring? Always wanted to attend but didn't have the funds? Then we urge you to submit an application for a grant from the NFBN Gwendolyn M. Mangnall scholarship fund.
It is through the generosity of a bequest left for us from Mrs. Mangnall that we are able to award this grant. Scholarship requests must be received by March 5, 2023, so please make your application a priority, since available funds are limited.
*Who is eligible? *
Active NFBN members, whether blind or sighted, or blind individuals interested in learning more about the National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska are eligible to apply.
*How do I apply for funding assistance?*
1. Submit a letter by March 5th, providing your contact information, your local NFB chapter information, or how you became interested in learning more about the NFBN. Specify the amount you are requesting to cover the convention expenses you are unable to afford. Explain what you hope to gain from attending the NFBN convention, as well as what you hope to be able to one day contribute to the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind.
2. Submit a letter of recommendation from your local NFBN chapter president, rehab counselor, teacher, or other non-family member.
3. E-Mail all documents to email@example.com or mail to Cheryl Livingston, 1026 S 35th St, Lincoln, NE 68510.
*When will I be notified that I am a recipient of this scholarship? *
If you are chosen to receive this scholarship, you will receive communication from the committee with convention details that should answer most of your questions. The committee will make every effort to notify scholarship winners by March 15, but you must do several things before that to be prepared to attend if you are chosen.
1. Make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents you from attending, you can cancel the reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for roommates of your own to reduce the cost.)
2. Register online for the entire convention, including the banquet, by March 5th. Winners must plan to attend the convention in its entirety in order to receive a grant.
3. If you do not hear from the committee by March 15th, then you will not receive a grant this year.
*How will I receive my convention scholarship?*
at convention, you will be given your grant, by State Treasurer Cheryl Livingston. The committee is not able to provide funds before the convention, so if you cannot afford these basic expenses, we recommend that you work with your chapter and others to assist you by obtaining an agreement to advance funds should you receive a scholarship, with the understanding that you will reimburse these funds after you receive your grant. You can also contact Treasurer Cheryl Livingston should you be running into difficulty obtaining the necessary funding in advance of the committee's decision.
*What if I have more questions?*
for additional information email Treasurer Cheryl Livingston at firstname.lastname@example.org or (402) 4882509.
Above all, please use this opportunity to attend your first NFBN state convention. You won't want to miss the most dynamic and influential gathering of Nebraska's blind this year. Be sure to visit our website.
for registration details, and information regarding free transportation to the convention. We hope to see you in Lincoln March 23rd through March 26th!